Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Netflix Price Change!!


Netflix has just announced a change to their pricing structure. If you want to rent one dvd at a time unlimitedly per month, it will net you $7.99 and come sans streaming service. Another streaming-only service will also come at the same price. You can bundle unlimited dvd and streaming for $15.98 per month. Netflix's price change might be brought about by their expansion plans and pursuit to acquire new content which would demand much more money from Netflix.

So yes, this price change does suck. I'm more content with the streaming-only service because I find waiting for a dvd arrival to be a pain (even though netflix's dvd delivery system has made dvd renting much more convenient). Before, I would hang on to a dvd for the longest time before returning it. If I wanted to watch a new movie right away without waiting for the arrival of the next dvd in my queue, then I turn to Redbox. I actually dreamed of a streaming-only Netflix that offers more incredible content and new movies. Netflix better deliver after setting up this new pricing scheme.

In the end, this price change is likely to affect the more frequent dvd renting/streaming people and I'm afraid some might not stick around to see the price change take effect.

Old members will not be grandfathered into the new pricing plan. Instead, their new subscription rates won't take effect until September 1st. New members will be ushered into the new subscription models immediately.

Netflix Blog



Source: : Hacking Netflix