Friday, June 24, 2011

X-men: First Class gives me hope for the X-men saga.


I love comic book adaptations as much as the next guy but I haven't been too thrilled with the few movies that have been released thus far. Strictly my opinion, the X-Men trilogy and the Wolverine Origin movie have fell way below my expectation. I was upset to see the live action X-Men movie come out this way. I mean the movies were decent but not incredible.

Almost 2 years after Wolverine Origins, they finally done it: First Class was exceptional. The movie begins with the young Erik and Xavier realizing that they are special and not the only one who carries these special gifts. Erik has the ability to levitate and distort metal objects with his mind but does so with the help of his inner rage. Charles Xavier is pursuing his Ph.D in the field of gene mutation. He is gifted with the ability to enter a person's mind and read, speak, or even erase their memories. He happens upon a chance encounter with Erik after saving his life and immediately there is a strong connection between them.

The movie focuses on the chemistry between Erik and Charles and reveals why they have such a strong bond and conflicting differences. I thought this was what made the movie so great. It is the characters and the emotions they exert. A movie of this magnitude doesn't need special effects or crazy explosions to be great, just raw powerful performances. I can honestly say that I am really hoping that there is a X-men: Second Class or X-Men: Magneto Origin stemming from this movie. Cheers if you will be seeing this movie in the near future.

Image source: Courtesy of X-Men: First Class Movie